I left St. Catherine’s for a two-week break in the evening of June 12th. Early morning of that day, I was trying to finish writing a statement, from a Church and theological or faith perspective, on the boarding of the ships carrying humanitarian aid for the people of Gaza by the Israeli state security forces. The first time, the boarding turned openly violent; the second, seemingly peaceful: no one was physically harmed or killed; but violent just the same, in that the conscience of the peace-humanitarian activists to bring aid to the people of Gaza was violated when Israeli state security forces rerouted the ship to the port of Ashdod, confiscated the goods with a promise that these would reach their destination, arrested the peace-humanitarian activists and summarily deported them to their places of origin. But these events also demonstrated the beautiful spirit of courageous generosity and powerful selflessness for the cause of justice and peace, on the part of people of good will, in our time. No amount of national security reasons can be used to justify these human rights violations perpetrated by the Israeli state security agents upon a civilian humanitarian group sailing in neutral international waters.
******
The Philippine Air Lines (PAL) Flt. 103 took off I think on time. I failed to reckon the time, as I was fast asleep in my little corner in the economy class. PAL, in the time of the Marcos dictatorship, used to mean Plane Always Late. (LoL!). After 10 hours, we landed in Guam for a 45-minute refueling. It turned out to be a 2 hour stopover: one of the passengers got ill, and a doctor had to be called. This reminded me of my trip from Quebec to New York in the summer of ’84: I had to apply acupressure to a seatmate in the plane who had fainting spells! See, I can do that too…for emergency use only… ******
Remember Subic Bay and the US Naval Base in Subic-Olongapo, Philippines? Well, the historians and veterans among us would readily know. Clark Air Base in Pampanga and the US Naval Base in Subic-Olongapo used to be the strategic forward line of defense of the US Military in the Pacific. They’re not there anymore. In their place is a thriving economic hub and tourist destination. I stayed in a cozy mountainous resort in Olongapo, which used to house American students or soldiers studying the art of war. I wonder when I can get a company of American friends to frolic with me the peaceful bliss of nature, and to reminisce the heroic past through the monuments of war, now transformed into havens of productivity, prayerful retreat and meaningful rejuvenating relaxation. ******
I met my old buddies, fellow-priests and partners in the work for justice and peace and integrity of creation in Bacolod City. We still talked of the Church, prayer, politics and change. But now with a new added attraction: diabetes, arthritis and the like!Summer Break and Pagdiriwang 2010
I finally met up with my nieces and nephews, and a grandchild! All 13 of them, in the City of Cebu, the Cradle of Christianity in Asia. Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese navigator, was commissioned by the Spanish king to look for an alternative route to the Orient in search of gold and spices. In 1521 he and his men set foot in what is now Philippine soil, in the island of Cebu. He christianized the local king of the island, together with the royal family and tribe, erected the Cross which still stands today! Some of his men were able to return to Spain, and thus circumnavigated the world. Magellan himself was killed by Lapulapu, the chieftain who resisted foreign invasion, from the neighboring island of Mactan. Mactan island, in modern history, used to host another US Military Air Base. The spiritual and pastoral care of the whole of Mactan Island has been entrusted by the Pope to the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (yes, MSC!) in perpetuo.
******
But back to my nieces and nephews! How I’ve missed them all. I don’t miss my sisters and brother as much as I miss these kids. Some say this indeed is a sign of old age. I am parenting and grandparenting! It’s a lovely, fulfilling and liberating feeling: to be loved by children and the younger generation, to feel genuinely needed by young men and women who are charting their own future! I feel flattered when they ask me for little fancy things and big expensive gifts. When I have extra savings from the allowance the MSC gives me, I don’t mind losing them all for them. Or, like when a friend of mine gave me a hundred dollars solely for the purpose of having a festive dinner with my nieces and nephews! We did, and it felt like heaven. Thank you, friend, for helping me realize this parenting and grandparenting stage of my life today! ******
Pagdiriwang is a Filipino word that literally means celebration. And I came back to the preparations for Pagdiriwang 2010. Come July 10, the Filipino community of the Diocese of San Bernardino will stage a major production showcasing Filipino culture: its history and religiosity through music, songs and dances. The musical director is our very own Fr. Art Mateo. I think I will join in two dance numbers: one, showing the Spanish influence on our national identity, the other, a celebration of a native livelihood: coconut wine-making. The celebration will be held at the Highlander Auditorium, 850 N. San Antonio Ave., Upland, Ca 92186. It will have a matinee performance at 3:00 pm, and a gala performance at 7:00pm. In a multicultural society such as ours, this celebration offers a rich experience of what it means to be a Filipino/a. So, please, come and have meaningful fun. - Fr. Ben Alforque, MSC
No comments:
Post a Comment